Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Awesome Scent of Zephirine Drouhin

I went by the Welcome Center garden this week to see how things looked and what spring cleaning needed to be done.  Before I had a chance to walk through the gate I was welcomed by the soft lemony scent of the rose on the trellis. My all time favorite climbing rose, Zephirine Drouhin, was in full bloom and the air was filled with its lovely fragrance.  This is the second year for the rose and it has finally taken off and is winding its way around that stately black trellis.  With a little more TLC and regular fertilizing I expect it to completely cover the area by next year.  


This is a spring bloomer but very often, if it is really happy, it will repeat bloom throughout the summer.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.


The individual blooms are almost like clusters of satin and I only wish there was some way to convey through the computer the delicious fragrance it gives off.  Guess you'll have to make a trip to the garden --- hurry though -- this won't last forever.

I don't want to slight my other favorite rose.  'Old Blush' is doing its thing right now also.  You might have to lean in to the bloom to get all of its glory since Zephirine is stealing the show right now, but it is worth the stop.


Both of these roses are old timey plants that have been in gardens for many years.  Isn't it nice that valued plants have withstood the battle of all the new cultivars.  New is good, but some times old feels even better....lots more memories for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment