Saturday, April 6, 2013

A New Worthy Plant To Consider

As I was walking through town with a friend, she stopped in her tracks by one of the containers.  "What is that neat plant" she asked.  Duh, I couldn't tell her and I'm the one who planted it.  I didn't know because it was new to me this year and it has a tough name to remember.  But I sure will remember it from now on....Cherianthus 'Gold Dust'.  At the time of planting it was just a little pile of forgettable leaves.  But I am a sucker for new plants so I decided to give it a try. And when the flowers came out in late winter I was rewarded for my decision.  



Does this not shout cheerful



In the container with 'Gold Dust' is the pansy Dynamite 'Blueberry Thrill', Liberty Yellow Snapdragon and Carex 'Ice Dance'.  If you look closely you can see that the flowers fall away from the bottom, leaving you with color at the top for a long time.  Not sure how long it will continue to bloom but I will definitely use 'Gold Dust' again, even if it only has a short bloom time.  The impact is well worth it.

Another new pansy for me is Ultima 'Purple Lace'....dark purple petals edged in silvery gray.   Talk about a class act.  It is paired with Euphorbia 'Rudolph' and Dusty Miller 'New Look'.  Check it out.....





'Purple Lace' has been blooming consistently through the season, spent heads just droop quietly, not calling attention to themselves.









The addition of the Dusty Miller really pulled out the silver on the leaves of the pansy, and the dark purple stems of the Euphorbia made the final connection.










For whatever reason Dusty Miller has been able to shoulder its way to the forefront of the containers this year.  In the past it was lost in the crowd.  I'm glad it was able to strut its stuff so that this combination could come together.

I'm off to groom again this weekend and get more pictures.  Be back soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment