Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Rehmannia -- An Odd Little Plant

Every season I just have to try some new plants.  Some are absolute winners, some major flops; then there are those few plants that, while they make you smile, probably won't be back for an encore.  Rehmannia glutinosa falls into that last category.  Its common name is Chinese foxglove and that is what really enticed me to include it in a few containers.  The foliage is somewhat similar to the true foxglove (digitalis) but not quite -- this is more like something you would find in a weed patch.  It is officially considered an herb and used a lot in Chinese medicine.  But the flower does redeem the plant. All winter the plant just sat there in the container, lost under the shadow of the towering branches of its mates.  And just now it has decided to bloom -- and none too soon either.  I am about a week or two away from pulling out the tired winter plants and installing fresh faces.  But, here check it out and you decide yourself on its worthiness.



I have to admit that the flower does call attention to itself.  Not sure how long it will last on the stalk -- I'll let you know later.  


It is a large bloom -- will nearly cover the palm of my hand -- so that is a plus for it.


Because this is in a container with autumn ferns and a small handful of violas, I think I can leave it until the Rehmannia does its full cycle.  The ferns will only get bigger and can cover any potential ugly and the violas should hang in there until mid May and do its part to hide a mess.  I'll keep you posted on the progress of this valued herb and see how it does as a partner in pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment