Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Little Leaves - Still a Big Impact

This is a side note before I start the blog.  Actually, I started this blog a few days ago only to find out that I had a serious software glitch and could not upload my photos.  Pure Panic!!  I have to thank my dear friend, Carol Brown, for patiently holding my hand and helping me find a solution.    Her patience with impatient people like me is incredible, her artistic and creative ability is sensitive and deep -- and last but not least, her technical savvy is amazing.  She has a new blog that you really need to check out to see just how talented she is.....click on her site - Inspirational Nature -- which you can find here in the right-hand column.  So back to the blog.........


In my last post I showed you pictures of the big leafed plants I've used in the containers.  This time I wanted to share the fine leafed plants I used.  What they lacked in leaf size they made up for in overall size and impact.  I used two euphorbias this year -- a burgundy and a blue-green.  My favorite of the two is probably Euphorbia martinii 'Rudolph' - and when you see the picture you will understand why it is called " Rudolph".


Does that not look like the red nose on Santa's Rudolph?  Although when I see it in the container my first thought is fireworks.  But whatever you choose to see, it makes an impact in the container.  All euphorbias exude a milky sap when cut, which can irritate the skin and eyes so keep that in mind when pruning them.  But they are so worth having.  


Rudolph can grow to 24 inches tall

Happy in zones 6-9

Produces chartreuse green blooms in spring









The other euphorbia I used is Euphorbia wulfenii 'Shorty'....with soft blue leaves and soon to have bright yellow flowers.  Notice in the photo the "nodding heads" of the upright branches, which indicates they are ready to strut their stuff.  


This one is so easy to pair up with almost any color pansy or viola -- great with yellows, blues, reds....purples are better left to hang out with Rudolph.  Check out the photo below of the "nodding head".   If you look closely at the plants you might be able to see the flower buds tucked in the leaves.



Shorty is true its name and grows only 12-17 inches tall.  Perfect for that middle section of your garden or for a smaller container.


A not so well known and little used plant that I really like for the winter arrangements is Erysimum variegated (there is also a cultivar called Bowles Mauve that has less variegation).   The variegated leaves alone would create a bright spot in the container but then the lavender flowers are a pleasant surprise when they erupt.  




18-24 inches tall
15-18 inches wide

Spring blooms attract butterflies

Needs full to partial sun














In anticipation of the heavy shade I'll have for a lot of the containers on Main Street where there are large trees, I've planted Autumn Ferns (Dryopteris erythrosora) -- my "go to" plant for shade.  Since they are evergreen they do well in winter, experiencing only some leaf aging which can be clipped off.  Come spring though they will reward you with awesome bronze colored new growth.  A mature plant can easily reach 2' x 2'.  Once it outgrows a container it is easily transplanted into the garden where it will thrive with little attention.  


Here it is mixed in with Carex 'Ice Dance' -- a perfect companion.  For that linear look 'Ice Dance' and Liriope 'Evergreen' are frequently used in my containers.  

While all these plants are used in the container design, they will do equally, if not better, in your garden beds.  Independent garden centers are your best bet for finding some of these, but the box stores will sometimes bring them in -- just be first in line when the truck arrives.


No comments:

Post a Comment