Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A "New Look" Dusty Miller

I told you I would comment on the successes and failures of this project and here I am with a "sort of failure".  I have to admit that I created this problem for myself.  When I found this "cool" looking dusty miller I was sure that it would be a great companion plant in the containers.  Dusty Miller 'New Look' has full, lush leaves with that perfect silver color that goes with anything.  The mature size is 8 inches wide by 10 inches tall -- making a solid impact in an arrangement. 


Dusty Miller 'New Look'
Senecio cineraria

Pretty isn't it?

Loves the sun - never seemed to mind the intense heat and drought conditions

8 inch x 10 inches
















What I didn't keep in mind is that I fertilize the containers once a week with a liquid solution that encourages growth and blooms, so the vigorous companion plants for this Dusty Miller just took off and left it behind.  'New Look' is doing great but it just couldn't keep up with the Cora Vinca and Wave Petunias





You can see it tucked in amongst the vinca, working hard to hold its place....but it just isn't going to win this race.  Great plant and will use it again, but I'll have to be more vigilant about its companions to give it a fighting chance to shine.

As a side note, the friendly showers we've been getting along with the regular fertilizing is making for happy containers -- they are filling out with lush leaves and heavy blooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment