Monday, October 3, 2016

Fireworks

The season is finally nearing an end.  It has been brutal and I, for one, will be glad to take out the summer plants and bring in fresh, fall friends.  But before the summer friends leave I do have to give kudos to one tough plant -- Gomphrena 'Fireworks'.  It has been abused by people wanted to pull of a flower or two; neglected by the watering schedule; and temperatures that even heat loving plants struggled with.  But look at it after five full months in the pot and just weeks away from going to compost heaven.



It is still going strong.  I will definitely put this in my Habitat Garden at home.  While I was grooming Fireworks a butterfly landed in front of my eyes and I watched it eat its dinner.  I can only imagine how wonderful this plant will look with adequate water.  If you are local to the area (Morgan County or Athens area) check with Thomas Orchards to get this one for next year.  They can get just about anything you desire.

I'm headed to Asheville, NC for a few days and hope to get by Biltmore Estates and see their gardens.  I'm sure they are filled with autumn goodies.  Maybe I'll get some "estate" ideas to plant here in Madison.  It will be fun looking for sure.





No comments:

Post a Comment