Sunday, August 12, 2012

Great Ferns With Fun Names

My all time favorite perennial fern to use in a container or in the ground is Autumn Fern -- it's evergreen, tough, and adds so much to a finished arrangement.  But I do like to mix it up a little and use something different when I need a "lacy" look and that's when I go to my favorite annual fern Blue Crisp



Blue Crisp Fern - Polypodium aureum

Dusty blue fronds reaching 15-20 inches

Zones 10-11
Use as an annual in the garden and containers
Move indoors and provide bright light and even moisture










It is combined with Heucherella Golden Zebra and Lysimachia Persian Chocolate (and out of sight is also a Caladium "Moonlight") in this container on the corner of Main and Washington.   Because of its height it is also providing the linear aspect I needed in this arrangement. 



Blue Crisp is a tough plant and has been handling our minimal watering routine -- it is in a shady location so that helps -- but it does prefer to be kept moist.  I'd like to think that the moisture beads I put in the containers is helping here.  

A new fern for me this year is Kangaroo Fern (Microsorum pustulatum).  Looks very similar to Blue Crisp in leaf shape but it is much darker and shiney where Blue Crisp has a dusty appearance.  I combined it with Dragon Wing Begonia and Caladium "White Queen" in the container on Main and Washington near Ye Olde Colonnial.  It is still living but you would have to dig into the center of the pot to find it since it could not keep up with the aggressive begonia.  Another one is planted in the Welcome Center garden and doing very well by itself.  I'll use this fern again but be mindful to pair it with either smaller plants or slower growers. 


Kangaroo Fern can grow to be at least 2 feet by 3 feet but I'm not seeing that much growth in either the pot or in the ground and they are getting regular fertilizer.  This one would definitely make a great indoor plant and I'll give them a try this year to see if I can overwinter them.  Maybe with some size on them I'll be able to use them in containers where they are the star. 

I have not seen Kanagroo Fern readily available at nurseries but Blue Crisp does show up early in the season.  But because it is so unique it is quickly bought up by eager customers so if you are interested in using it next year, get there early.  It would also be a good idea to take the botanical name with you because I'm not sure that the nursery staff will recognize it by its common name.   Since most nurseries plan their buying way in advance of the season it might not be a bad idea to tell them now that you are interested.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment